Salary: $42.57 – $66.06 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Closing Date: 8/21/2023 5:00 PM Pacific
This is a senior technical position and is the third step in the series of four. This posting is used to fill multiple positions throughout the City of Tacoma and Tacoma Public Utilities. Vacancies may occur within the following teams:
- City of Tacoma IT GIS
- Tacoma Water GIS
- Tacoma Power GIS
The Tacoma Public Utilities’ and City of Tacoma are looking for an experienced GIS Analyst who is passionate about creating innovative solutions to solve business problems. Our ideal candidate is capable and motivated to assist in the administration, design, architecture, configuration, and implementation of our GIS Enterprise environment.
The successful candidate should possess extensive knowledge and experience architecting, configuring, implementing, and maintaining ArcGIS Enterprise environments (ArcGIS Portal, ArcGIS Servers, ArcGIS Data Store). Knowledge regarding other GIS solutions used at the City, including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS, ArcGIS Experience Builder, Web Appbuilder, ArcGIS Monitor, VertiGIS Studio, VertiGIS Analytics, ArcGIS Monitor, Python, FME and ESRI Enterprise Databases are also desirable.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Tacoma we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
- Lead the administration, design, architecture, configuration, and implementation of solutions that leverage the City’s Web GIS platforms, including: ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, monitoring, and administration, security, manage certificates, ArcGIS licensing (Desktop and Enterprise), performance/system monitoring (ArcGIS Monitor, Geocortex Analytics), geodatabase/data store administration, system patching, automating and reporting system uptime
- Perform daily administration of Enterprise Geodatabases and GIS applications
- Extract, compare, analyze, and develop solutions to keep systems in alignment
- Track and troubleshoot system issues proactively using ArcGIS Monitor, VertiGIS Analytics or other GIS system monitoring tools
- Perform data imports from other agencies, manage exports, joins and relates to provide a complete GIS solution to end users and map editors
- Test software and database upgrades, perform end-user training, and troubleshoot system issues to determine solutions, resolve, and follow up
- Develop and implement procedures for data design, processing, quality control, automation, documentation or Metadata, maintenance and ETLs (Extract, Transform and Load)
- Build prototype solutions to demonstrate the benefits of new software tools, database queries, views, procedures and digitalized work processes
- Address customer’s information needs by designing, developing, testing, deploying and supporting GIS Applications using a variety of tools and development languages
Equivalent combination to:
- 5+ years directly related information technology work experience; and
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Technology, Engineering, Geography or related field (additional, relevant years of experience may substitute for a degree on a year-for-year basis)
- GIS Professional Certification (GISP), ESRI Technical Certifications or any other GIS Certification Program
- Preferred Experience with:
- ESRI Enterprise Geodatabases
- Database administration and management techniques in a client-server environment
- GeoCortex/Vertigis/GeoCortex Essentials, ArcGIS online ArcMap, ArcGIS pro
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Some positions may require a valid Washington State Driver’s License at time of appointment with maintenance thereafter
- Some positions may require incumbents to successfully pass a Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) background check
Knowledge & Skills
Knowledge and Expertise:
- Expert knowledge of computer technology principles, their application, and troubleshooting techniques.
- Expert knowledge of specialized technologies, such as applications, tools, systems, and/or databases.
- Knowledge of principles and concepts of total quality management and problem-solving methods.
- Understanding of data and system security and other similar technical processes approaches.
- Expertise in Cloud GIS, asset management, and platform integrations is highly desirable.
- Skill in applying advanced technical knowledge to evaluate and resolve complex tasks such as planning and directing projects, conducting capacity planning, coordinating or facilitating the installation of complex systems, hardware, software, application interfaces or applications.
- Skill in programming and the understanding of development and designing best practices.
- Skills in using advanced diagnostic troubleshooting tools to analyze and resolve complex programs.
- Skills in integrating various ideas, intentions, and information to form effective goals, objectives, timelines, action plans, and solutions.
Communication and Collaboration:
- Skills in communicating and representing enterprise-wide computing standards for both technical and non-technical staff.
- Skill in understanding, following and giving oral and written directions effectively.
- Skills in modeling effective group process behavior, such as listening, discussing, encouraging, and using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Effectively organize and facilitate group discussions, creating a cooperative and productive environment in which to resolve problems or develop and implement plans.
- Skill in estimating the level of effort and resources for technical projects, and coordinating technical projects, meeting project schedules and established timelines.
- Employ expertise, credibility and effective partnering to help customers and vendors resolve complex and difficult issues.
- Expert skill in handling multiple competing priorities.
- Skills in developing and implementing quality assurance testing and performance monitoring, using quality assurance techniques and best practices.
All interested individuals must apply online and attach a resume and cover letter that includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to the position.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their supplemental question responses reviewed by a panel of subject matter experts as part of the civil service examination. Applicants who pass the examination will be placed on the eligible list for interview and hiring consideration.
Appointment is subject to passing a background check. This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 120. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/tacoma/jobs/4125408/gis-analyst-it-analyst-senior-technical