For more information, please follow this link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/3545109/scientific-technician-1-fish-program-3-openings-non-permanent-06723-22
Salary– $2,509.00 – $3,216.00 Monthly
Our Scientific Technicians,
- Assist with population estimates using backpack electrofisher.
- Ability to transcribe data, identify fish species, measure/weigh fish, and carry equipment in a backpack up to 50lbs.
- Collect habitat measurements such as flow, stream widths and thalweg.
- Ability to row and maneuver a raft down river to study sites.
- Snorkel active Chinook redds recording numbers of precocious males.
- Conduct repair and maintenance of equipment.
- Work Setting, including hazards:
- Work will be wading and snorkeling in the creeks and rivers of the Yakima River Basin sampling salmonids. Working in rivers has inherent dangers.
- The incumbent must be comfortable and able to snorkel upstream and downstream, wade in the river for extended periods of time, in high/swift water conditions, on slippery and uneven surfaces, carry loads of approximately 50 pounds (backpack and 5-gallon buckets of water), and work under inclement weather condition.
- Typically, 7:00am-5:30pm Monday – Thursday.
- Travel Requirements:
- Daily travel from Ellensburg to sample sites throughout the Yakima Basin.
- Tools and Equipment:
- Backpack electrofisher, PIT tag reader, waders, flow meters, rafts, and basic hand tools.
- Customer Interactions:
- This is a field position that generally interacts with private landowners, peers, other federal, state, tribal, local, and private entities.
Closely related qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-by-year basis.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must successfully complete WDFW snorkel training, First Aid/CPR, and other required training.
- Collect data following set protocol.
- Accurately record data.
- Effectively communicate basic study objectives to the general public, landowners, etc.
- Some experience in the following:
- Backpack electrofishing.
- PIT tagging.
- Identifying salmonids.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
As a result of Gov. Jay Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14 (Download PDF reader) issued on August 9, 2021, all Washington State Agencies are requiring employees to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of your employment. Pursuant to this mandate, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination as a part of the hiring process. Please do not upload your vaccination documentation with your application materials – your vaccination status will be verified by your supervisor prior to your first day of work. Exemptions may be granted for religious or medical purposes.
Please note: Failure to follow the instructions below may lead to disqualification.
In order to successfully apply for this position, you MUST complete your profile at www.careers.wa.gov and attach the following to your profile before completing the online application:
- Three professional references.