Salary: $38,952.00 – $51,888.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Job Number: 2023-5-2353-06733
Department: Dept. of Natural Resources
Opening Date: 05/18/2023
Closing Date: 6/8/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Acting as the travel expert for agency’s central finance office in the accounts payable unit, this position independently reviews, analyzes, and processes expenditure documentation with a focus on travel reimbursements. It is responsible for ensuring procedural fiscal compliance, accuracy, and deadlines are met, and ensures correct program expenditure coding standards are maintained. It provides direction for other fiscal and division staff regarding coding, processing, and documentation requirements as related to general accounts payable and travel expenditures. This position frequently interacts with DNR region and division staff at all levels and other state agency personnel.
Travel Reimbursement Specialist:
- Provide guidance to DNR division employees on statewide and agency travel reimbursement claims processing and travel policies and procedures.
- Provide interpretation and direction on use of agency Chart of Accounts to ensure proper coding of travel expenditures.
- Train DNR division staff on travel processes and requirements for submitting a properly completed A20 Travel Voucher packet.
- Independently interpret and ensure all travel payment are paid following the policies outlined in the Office of Financial Management’s State Administrative and Accounting Manual (SAAM), Department of Enterprise Services (DES) purchasing guidelines, DNR policies and procedures, and state wide contracts.
- Communicate with division staff to ensure all travel vouchers are complete and accurate for payment processing.
- Audit, resolve discrepancies, correct, and process travel reimbursement payments, ensuring back up documentation supports the expenditure.
- Record payment documents into FES, compile payment document packets and batches, and submit to unit fiscal analysts for final review and payment approval.
- Maintain and update DNR’s Employee Guide to Travel as changes occur in OFM policies and Federal rules.
Vendor Payment Technician:
- Verify accuracy of invoice packets for appropriate authorization and documentation, validate and make corrections as necessary regarding accounting coding, sales and use taxes, verify the presence of authorized signatures, etc.
- Research and respond to customer/vendor questions or requests for documents or information.
- Provide guidance to DNR division employees on accounts payable processes as they pertain to the vendor payments and employee reimbursements, including training DNR division staff on payment processes and what is required for submitting a properly completed A-19, IPR or A20 packet.
- Provide interpretation and direction on use of agency Chart of Accounts to ensure proper coding of expenditures.
- Record payment documents into FES using the appropriate accounting detail for all processed payments, which could include transaction code, account code (fund), expenditure authority (appropriation), program index, sub-object, sub-sub-object, organization code, trust code, project code, discounts, compensatory tax code (Comp Tax), and others.
- Complete fiscal year and biennium closing transactions to meet established DNR and OFM deadlines.
Cash handling specialist:
- Accurately record all funds received in the agency accounts receivable system (NaturE), using the appropriate cash journal module for the type of payment received (cash, check/money order, wire transfer, interagency payment, journal voucher, etc).
- Close out each cash journals transaction log by reconciling system transaction logs with the payments received, researching and correct any discrepancies or errors.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Three years of accounting or fiscal experience.
- Experience using a 10-key calculator or adding machine and accurate keyboarding skills.
- Experience using computers and computer software including Microsoft Office Excel and Word and other computer systems.
- Ability to be focused and to prioritize work to meet inflexible deadlines while dealing with constant interruptions.
- Ability to maintain high levels of accuracy with a heavy workload applying attention to detail in everyday tasks.
- Consistent ability to effectively and respectfully communicate with co-workers and diverse clientele.
- Ability to research, interpret and explain OFM & DES requirements, WACs, RCW’s, Agency policies and procedures, fiscal controls and other applicable regulations.
- DNR Core Competencies:
- Personal Accountability
- Value Others
- Compassionate Communication
- Inspire Others
- Commitment to Excellence
Special Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
- Employees of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) are required to complete their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines (be fully vaccinated against COVID-19) or be approved for a medical or religious accommodation as a condition of employment. Please note, any offer of employment is contingent and no start date will be approved until you have either verified your vaccine status or have an approved accommodation. “Fully vaccinated” means the following: An employee is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after they have received the second dose in a two-dose series of a COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Novavax) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen) authorized for emergency use, licensed, or otherwise approved by the FDA or listed for emergency use, or otherwise approved by the World Health Organization.
- 18 quarter or 12 semester hours of college-level accounting.
- Intermediate experience and proficiency using Microsoft Office Excel & Word.
- Knowledge of state payables processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of receivables processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), specifically accounts payable, revenue, and accounts receivable.
- To be considered you must apply online at www.careers.wa.gov. You must complete the entire online application to be considered for the position.
- Attach a letter of interest describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position profile and the position required, desired and special requirements.
- Attach a resume describing your experience and qualifications.
- Provide three to five professional references – you may attach a document, use the References text field in the online application, or include with resume.
- Important: Do not attach any documents that include photos or private information (social security number, year of birth, etc.).
- Complete all supplemental questions.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4048200/fiscal-specialist-1-travel