Salary: $49,404.00 – $66,420.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Job Number: 2023-4-A251-05394
Department: Dept. of Natural Resources
Opening Date: 04/20/2023
Closing Date: 5/21/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has an opening within the Office of Finance, Budget, and Economics. This position is required to analyze and interpret reports produced by agency’s receivables system (NaturE), reporting system (Data Mart), Agency Financial Reporting System (AFRS), and agency’s payable system (FES). This position is also responsible for reconciliations, corrections, revenue/receivables, reporting to other state agencies, and fiscal year end activities.
- Assists with matters related to accounts receivable and revenue using agency systems and analysis to resolve questions or issues.
- Ensures journal voucher (JV) accounting transactions are entered accurately, completely, and timely using GAAP, RCW, and WAC rules.
- Helps write and update in-house forms, documents, and desk manuals using RCW, WAC, and internal policies to ensure relevancy and accuracy.
- Correct erroneous data using NaturE, DNR Reports Portal, and AFRS.
- Helps answer questions from Accounts Receivable (AR) staff using agency policies, GAAP, and system knowledge.
- Interacts with DNR agency staff using RCWs, WACs, GAAP, and statewide accounting guidelines to help answer questions and solve problems or issues.
- Trains staff on processing procedures and updates business process procedures, as needed.
- Assigns, instructs, and checks the work of co-workers.
- Performs complex analysis on revenue transactions and prepares journal vouchers to correct funds, general ledgers, and other revenue-related coding for accounts receivable.
Performs audits and reconciliations to include the following:
- Conducts reconciliations:
Compares ledger balances to subsidiary records, performs complex analysis to identify discrepancies, and applies independent judgment to follow up and resolve discrepancies.
Performs daily reconciliations of deposit and apply items, using NaturE and DNR Reports Portal, to ensure that all deposited items have been applied correctly.
Reviews and approves local bank reconciliation prepared by Fiscal Analyst 1 (FA 1) using bank statements, NaturE cash journals, and State Treasurer’s reporting system (TM$).
- Serves as backup for Lease Audits, conducting a financial audit using DNR’s revenue distribution system (NaturE FI) and DNR Reports Portal to ensure lease invoices have been paid and funds distributed accurately and timely.
- Reviews and approves Accounts Receivable staff documents to include the following: NaturE FI customer refunds, monthly leasehold tax filing, periodic Journal Vouchers where revenues are distributed to counties and cities, daily JV’s prepared by the AR team Fiscal Analyst 1, and the daily deposit documents and adjustment JV’s.
- Serves as the back-up to perform the weekly County Wire Transfer, transferring DNR generated revenues to trust beneficiaries.
- 18 quarter or 12 semester hours of accounting AND four years of professional experience; OR,
an equivalent combination of experience and education which includes 18 quarter or 12 semester hours of accounting.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting principles with experience in accounts receivables.
- Experience and proficiency using computers and computer systems, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Excel and Word.
- Experience analyzing and reconciling general ledgers.
- Solid knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- DNR Core Competencies:
- Personal Accountability
- Value Others
- Compassionate Communication
- Inspire Others
- Commitment to Excellence
- Analytical skills
- Ability to maintain high levels of accuracy with a heavy workload; applying attention to detail in everyday tasks
- Ability to stay focused and prioritize work while dealing with constant interruptions
- Must possess strong interpersonal relationship skills
- Consistent ability to effectively and respectfully communicate with co-workers
- Knowledge of state receivables and payables processes and procedures
- Experience with NaturE and FES
- Experience with AFRS and Enterprise Reports
- Knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), specifically accounts receivable.
- To be considered you must apply online at www.careers.wa.gov (Click on the APPLY button above). You must complete the entire online application to be considered for the position.
- Attach a letter of interest describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position profile and the position required, desired and special requirements.
- Attach a resume describing your experience and qualifications.
- Provide three to five professional references – you may attach a document, use the References text field in the online application, or include with resume.
- Important: Do not attach any documents that include photos or private information (social security number, year of birth, etc.).
- Complete all supplemental questions.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4007774/fiscal-analyst-3-accounts-receivable