Salary Details: $52,636 – $68,426 per year
Deadline: Jun 30, 2023
This position is located in Denali National Park and Preserve and will work with the Alaska Wildland Fire and Fire Management team throughout several parks in Alaska. It is a career-seasonal appointment – a position that includes the same benefits as career appointments, but do not provide work on a year-round basis. The desired season runs from approximately April through December, and you would be in non-pay status for the remainder of the year.
- Leads employees in the collection, inventory, processing, and reporting of data for one or several parks’ fire ecology programs.
- Implements and supervises remote field projects, including the use of helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft, and boats.
- Establishes monitoring plots in a variety of vegetation/fuel types in accordance with established guidelines.
- Measures a variety of ecological attributes in monitoring plots including vegetation structure, plant species composition, soil properties, and wildfire metrics (i.e., burn severity).
- Collects and identifies grasses, herbs, shrubs, and trees to species.
- Collects, organizes, manages, and ensures quality control of field data using standardized data collection procedures.
- Collects geospatial data, creates project maps, navigates to predetermined field points, and records field locations using a variety of GPS devices.
- Enters natural resource field data into a computer using customized software. Routinely performs data error checking, quality-control, and performs simple to complex statistical analyses.
- Composes summaries of collected field data and field activities in annual and other written reports. Communicates ecological information to a variety of audiences.
- May perform duties of prescribed fire operations, wildland fire assignments and/or additional projects if qualified and as needed.
HOW TO APPLY
The vacancy announcement is currently open on USAJOB: USAJOBS – Job Announcement. The first cut-off date for applications is June 30, 2023. Note: This is an open continuous announcement, so while the listed closing date isn’t until 11/23/23, the first cut-off date is 6/30/23. Please see the ‘Standing Register Open Continuous Information’ in the ‘How You Will be Evaluated’ section via the link above for more information on how the applicant pool will be managed.