OPEN: January 12, 2023
CLOSES: February 02, 2023
SALARY: (6) $17.47-$19.68/hr.
DOE DIVISION: Aquatic Invasive Species
SHIFT: 40 hours/week
DEPARTMENT: Natural Resources
LOCATION: Tribal Administration
SUPERVISOR: Fisheries Biologist III (EGC)
DURATION: Special project- Ends 06/30/2023
Under the supervision of the Fisheries Biologist III (EGC), the Field Technician III (EGC) will be responsible for assisting with invasive European green crab (EGC) trapping following Lummi’s current EGC trapping protocols. Field work will entail walking long distances (>1 mile) along the shoreline, carrying field gear and samples (up to 50 lb) for extended periods of time, operating small watercrafts, and sampling specific areas of beach and marshland by setting traps, identifying, and measuring EGC and associated by-catch in the sample area. The Field Technician III (EGC) will also be responsible recording data in the field and taking detailed legible notes. This position will receive health and retirement benefits, in addition to paid sick leave and annual leave. Position ends 6/30/23 with possible extension.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Conduct field surveys of EGC to estimate relevant abundance of the invasive species on Lummi Reservation tidelands
2. Follow beach and marshland specific methods for conducting EGC trapping
3. Maintain and utilize small watercrafts to access trapping areas and deploy traps
4. Accurately and completely fill in data sheets by taking detailed notes and recording data in the field, including species abundance, EGC measurements, GPS coordinates, and survey specific details
5. Other duties as assigned/Support of other LNR projects
• A Bachelor’s degree involving major study in environmental, physical, or one of the natural sciences, environmental planning or other allied field. Experience at or above the Natural Resources Technician 1 level or equivalent may be substituted, year for year, for education.
• Experience participating in an environmental research project, preferably monitoring invasive European green crab.
• Must possess and maintain valid Washington State Driver’s license and meet eligibility requirements for tribal insurance, preferred
• Lummi/Native American/Veteran preference policy applies
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
• Knowledge of marine invertebrate fauna found regionally, and the ability to identify these to the species level using a taxonomic key or field guide
• Ability to work flexible field schedule including weekends, sometimes in inclement weather
• Must be physically fit and able to walk long distances (>1 mile) on beaches, sometimes carrying heavy field gear and samples (up to 50 lb) for extended periods of time and be able to sample multiple areas on Reservation tidelands during a short period of time
• Operation and routine maintenance of small boats, outboard motors, and fishing/sampling gear; and
• Must be a reliable and organized individual with an attention to detail and have the ability to use a handheld GPS and compass
• Ability to work effectively with other EGC team members
• Must pass pre-employment and random drug and alcohol test to be eligible for and maintain employment, as required by the LIBC Drug & Alcohol-Free Workplace Policy
• Position requires extensive Criminal Background Check
• Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including two (2) doses of a 2-dose series, or one (1) dose of a 1-dose series, plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to the start date.
To obtain a Lummi Indian Business Council (LIBC) application go to: https://www.lummi- nsn.gov/widgets/JobsNow.php or request by e-mail email@example.com.
For more information contact the HR front desk (360) 312-2023.
Submit LIBC application, cover letter, resume & reference letters no later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date listed above. If listing degrees or certifications include copies.
Mailing Address: 2665 Kwina Road, Bellingham, WA 98226.
Human Resource Fax number: 360-380-6991.