Job Type: Temporary
Locations: Mazama and Leavenworth areas of Washington
Pay: $400.00 – $700.00/per day with production bonuses. Pay is commensurate with experience.
Deadline: Sep 12, 2023
Skylight Forestry, Inc. is looking to hire 2-4 full-time seasonal (September-October) Field Foresters/Technicians. You will be responsible for collecting high quality data on the forest. Projects include vegetation and forest inventory data collection on the Okanogan-Wenatchee NF. If you would like to work longer into the winter, we have work available in other parts of the country that are more hospital during winter (i.e. the south)
What You’ll Do:
Conduct extensive vegetation/forest inventories in accordance with the USFS field procedures.
- Conduct Common Stand Examinations (CSE) using diameter tapes, prisms/relascopes, lasers, measurement equipment, etc.
- Collects specific plot data which can include: latitude/longitude, aspect, slope %, slope position, crown class, crown ratio, site index, species, DBH, height, tree vigor, canopy cover, mortality, potential vegetation, existing vegetation, tree count, tree class, damage agent, damage severity, land cover class, percent permeable/impermeable, etc. (these will be discussed more in-depth during training)
- Work independently and make technical interpretations of the field guide
- Record all measurements utilizing a personal data recorder, uploads and edits data, and completes accurate and concise plot summaries of all field visits
- Use resources such as botanical keys to identify plants and or plant association guides to classify site conditions encountered.
Sound like you?
AAS or BS in Ecology, Forestry, Environmental Science, Botany, or related Natural Resources field with 1 season of field forestry experience.
- Passionate about data collection
- Enjoy working with a high level of autonomy and flexibility
- Ability to travel and work in remote backcountry environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience on the go problem solving with little to no supervision
- Ability to be extremely detailed oriented under adverse weather and geographic conditions.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
Preferred Experiences and Qualifications:
BS or MS in Ecology, Forestry, Environmental Science, Botany or related Natural Resources field with three (3)+ years experience with technical vegetation/forest measurements.
- Ability to travel and live in remote backcountry environments for extended periods of time from the mountains to the valley to the coast and in-between.
- Ability to work independently and travel to plot locations over various ecosystems & terrains.
- Ability to work for extended periods of time to meet project deadlines while working around potential weather constraints
- Experience collecting CSE data and/or with a USFS Timber Program
- Knowledgeable in forest mensuration techniques
- Experience troubleshooting and cleaning data
- Identification of tree species and plant communities found in the western United States
- US Driver’s License
- Wilderness First Responder Certified
- Ability to self-motivate and manage time
Most of our team are field ecologists/foresters working in 1-3 states yearly. They make approximately $30,000-$80,000 per year working 3-8 months yearly. Winter months are typically spent not working. Though there is little supervision after training, and you will be able to set your own schedule, you’ll need to maintain our production timelines and be able to work around potential weather constraints. Ideal candidates will be comfortable spending most of their time traveling/working in the field. All persons must supply their own transportation and housing (camping or rental) and will normally work as a one- person field crew.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send CV and/or Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org