Salary: $50,592.00 – $77,028.00 Annually
Location: Clallam County – Port Angeles, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Remote Employment: Flexible/Hybrid
Job Number: 23DOT-OR-32327
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Division: Olympic Region
Opening Date: 04/27/2023
Closing Date: 5/21/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
The WSDOT Port Angeles Engineering Office is currently seeking a Transportation Technician 3 to serve as the Field Construction Technician. In this role, you will be responsible for performing concrete, asphalt, aggregate, densities, and other material testing. The Field Construction Technician will also assist the field crew with shrub clearing, staking, ticket taking, and receiving materials. This position provides you with the ability to experience working in varied environments, such as out in the field, in an office atmosphere, and in the laboratory.
What to Expect
This position performs inspections of transportation construction work for conformance with the contract and materials testing during daytime and nighttime and in inclement (hot, cold, wet, etc.) weather. This includes traversing uneven, steep terrain adjacent to traffic and heavy equipment in an outdoor environment. Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Field Construction Technician will:
- Produce payment notes based on the contractor’s work.
- Utilize various web applications and WSDOT proprietary computer programs to produce estimate reports, log material documentation, verify contractor qualifications and compliance with contract specifications, update project milestones, and track other contract related submittals/documents.
- Receive material documentation or contractor submittals, read, and identify their contents, calculate and record quantities of the content.
- Verify the document/submittal’s compliance with WSDOT specification, and then process the document/submittals electronically within WSDOT’s proprietary computer programs.
- Coordinate with contractors to request outstanding documentation.
This is a Transportation Technician 3 (TT3) position. However, the hiring manager reserves the right to fill the position at a lower level (TT2) depending on qualifications, providing an opportunity for an individual to gain the required experience on the job as part of a formal “in-training” plan.
At minimum, this opportunity requires:
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Two (2) years of experience performing basic technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 1 or equivalent experience such as interpreting technical documents & plans and quality acceptance performance.
- Exceptional task management and deliverable tracking skills.
- A solid understanding of transportation engineering principles.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral to interact with diverse populations.
- Ability to interpret engineering plans and specifications.
- Demonstrated skills to produce deliverable that are professional and detail oriented.
- Ability to manipulate and transport up to 35 pounds of various materials and equipment.
- Proficient utilizing Windows operating systems and computer applications for word processing, spreadsheets.
- Proficient in Adobe Acrobat or Bluebeam.
- A valid driver’s license to travel to and from project sites.
To be considered for the highest level (TT3), you must also have at least one of the following:
- Two (2) years of experience performing semi-skilled technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 2 or equivalent experience such as interpreting technical documents & plans and quality acceptance performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Certificate as an Engineer-in Training.
- A Land Surveyors license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Knowledge of Western Alliance for Quality Transportation Construction (WAQTC).
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) certification.
- Proficient in WSDOT materials testing procedures for ‘gradation’, ‘compaction for asphalt and soils’, and ‘grout cubes’.
- Experience operating WSDOT applications including Statistical Analysis of Materials (SAM), Materials Testing System (MATS), Record of Material (ROM).
- Proficient utilizing Microsoft Excel for basic cell programming.
- Certified as a general inspector within six (6) months of appointment.
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. NOTE: This information may be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4020363/field-construction-technician-3-in-training. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.