Salary: $48,156.00 – $64,788.00 Annually
Location: Yakima County – Union Gap, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Remote Employment: Flexible/Hybrid
Job Number: 2023-SWM4967-07146
Department: Dept. of Ecology
Division: Solid Waste Management
Opening Date: 06/02/2023
Closing Date: Continuous
The Solid Waste Management (SWM) program is looking to fill an Facility Specialist (Environmental Specialist 3) position. This position is located in our Central Region Office (CRO) in Union Gap, WA. Upon hire, you must live within a commutable distance from the duty station. In this position, you will provide technical assistance site visits to solid waste handling facilities including recycling centers, landfills, junk yards, and compost facilities. This position will provide an opportunity to work with people of all age ranges, skills, and abilities. You will also gain solid waste permit experience that can lead to higher level jobs.
Agency Mission: Ecology’s mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s environment and to promote the wise management of our air, land and water for the benefit of current and future generations.
Program Mission: The Solid Waste Management (SWM) Program’s mission is to reduce both the amount and effects of wastes generated in Washington, and our vision is to transition to a society where waste is viewed as inefficient and most wastes and toxic substances have been eliminated.
Tele-work options for this position: This position will be eligible for up to an 80% telework schedule. Applicants with questions about position location options, tele-work, and flexible or compressed schedules are encouraged to reach out to the contact person listed below in “other information.” Schedules are dependent upon position needs and is subject to change.
Application Timeline: This position will remain open until filled. We will review applications on June 12, 2023. In order to be considered, please submit an application on or before June 11, 2023. If your application isn’t received by this date, it may not be considered. The agency reserves the right to make a Hire any time after the initial screening date.
In this new role, you will have the unique opportunity to be the agency’s first dedicated member providing technical support and inspection of exempt solid waste handling facilities.
What you will do:
- Answer phone calls / emails from solid waste facilities needing technical assistance.
- Review facility operations for compliance with regulations.
- Coordinate meetings with facilities and other regulatory agencies.
- Make site visits and write compliance letters.
Years of required experience indicated below are full-time equivalent years. Full-time equivalent experience means that any experience where working hours were less than 40 hours per week will be prorated in order to meet the equivalency of full-time. We would calculate this by looking at the total hours worked per week, divide this by 40, and then multiply by the total number of months worked. Examples of the proration calculations are:
- 30 hours worked per week for 20 months: (30/40) x 20 months = 15 months full-time equivalent
- 20 hours worked per week for 12 months: (20/40) x 12 months = 6 months full-time equivalent
Experience for both required and desired qualifications can be gained through various combinations of formal professional employment, education, and volunteer experience. See below for how you may qualify.
A total of Six (6) years of experience and/or education as described below:
- Professional level Experience in environmental analysis or control or environmental planning.
- Education: involving a major study in environmental, physical, or one of the natural sciences, environmental planning or other allied field.
See chart below for a list of ways to qualify for this position:
|Possible Combinations.||College credit hours or degree – as listed above.||Years of professional level experience – as listed above.|
|Combination 1||No college credit hours or degree.||6 years of experience.|
|Combination 2||30-59 semester or 45-89 quarter credits.||5 years of experience.|
|Combination 3||60-89 semester or 90-134 quarter credits (AA degree).||4 years of experience.|
|Combination 4||90-119 semester or 135-179 quarter credits.||3 years of experience.|
|Combination 5||A Bachelor’s Degree.||2 years of experience.|
|Combination 6||A Master’s Degree.||1 year of experience.|
|Combination 7||A Ph.D.||No experience.|
One year of experience as an Environmental Specialist 2, at the Department of Ecology.
Special Requirements/Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
We highly encourage you to apply even if you do not have some (or all) of the desired experience below.
- Experience working within a regulatory agency and solid waste management.
- Experience working with litter crews, hiring employees, and overseeing personnel. Similar to a business. Experience or education in Business Administration and/or customer service is desired.
- Good communication skills and attendance.
- Understanding and experience creating communication materials that effectively reach and engage communities that may be underserved populations in the region.
- Competency in providing direct customer service, especially in difficult situations and with customers who are resistant to compliance issues. Training related to developing interpersonal communication skills or providing high level customer service.
- Competency or formal training in negotiations. Be able to break down stated positions and conflict into basic underlying interests and needs. Seek common interests around which agreement may be reached.
It’s in the applicant’s best interest to submit all of the documents listed below. Applications without these documents may be declined.
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position.
- A resume outlining your experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to the minimum qualifications of this position.
- A list of three professional references.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4061797/facility-specialist-environmental-specialist-3