Note: This posting is a General Services Teamsters Bargaining Unit, running concurrently with the public. Therefore, if a
qualified applicant from within the bargaining unit applies, that person may be selected for the position.
Opening Date: June 6, 2022 Open Until Filled Next Review Date: September 7, 2022
Department: Public Health Division Monthly Salary: EHS – $4,120-$5,084
EHS SENIOR – $5,211-$5,752
JOB SUMMARY (Full position description available at Human Resources, contact info. below)
This is a permanent full-time EHS position. As an EHS, duties related to other environmental health programs
will be required including Drinking Water, Food Safety, Water Quality and Vector. Work is performed both in
an office and in the field requiring the employee to work in all weather conditions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES (any one position may not include all for the duties listed nor do the listed examples
include all tasks which may be found in positions in the class)
• Monitors regulated activities for compliance with policies and codes.
• Investigates complaints, generating corrective notices or penalties as needed for violations.
• Inspects licensed establishments and businesses for compliance in health and safety requirements.
• Performs field sampling for water quality analysis and reporting.
• Assists the public with permit and construction processes and questions concerning regulations.
• May represent the department at meetings.
• Interprets federal, state, and local regulations relating to environmental health.
• Reviews applications and designs for compliance with policies and codes for plats, subdivisions, SEPA,
solid waste sites, septic permits, school plans, food permits, public water systems, and building permits.
• Conducts inspections of new building sites, wells, existing sewage systems, public schools, public
water systems, and food service establishments.
EHS: Bachelors degree, preferably in a life science, environmental health or a related field is preferred. EHS
Senior: Same as EHS, with 5 years’ experience working for an Environmental Health jurisdiction.
Must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License with good driving record. DOL Certification for On-Site
Septic is preferred and may be required if OSS duties are assigned.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Applicants are required to submit a Mason County Application and Driver Abstract to the Human
Resources Department. The completed application may include additional pages of employment history using
the application format, and a resume may be attached. The completed application will be used as the primary
document to determine if minimum qualifications are met for this recruitment. Misrepresentation, incomplete, or
inaccurate entries may be the cause of application rejection, removal from the employment list, or discharge
from county service. Applicants will be screened based upon education and experience, and the top
candidates will be scheduled for interviews. Selection factors will include demonstrated knowledge and
abilities for the particular position. Only those candidates chosen for interviews will receive notice of the
final selection decision. Please read the reverse side for additional information. This selection process may
be subject to change.
Return Applications to: Mason County Human Resources Mailing Address – 411 North 5th Street, Shelton, WA 98584
Physical Address – 423 North 5th Street, Shelton, WA 98584
firstname.lastname@example.org Phone-(360) 427-9670 X 290 Fax-(360) 427-8439 22-48A
Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer Drug Free Work Environment