Job Type: Permanent
Salary Details: $19-20/hr commensurate with experience
Deadline: May 19, 2023
Position Overview: The Environmental Educator will be responsible for delivering high quality, experiential education programs and lessons to audiences of all ages and assist with organizational details and logistics involved in delivering these programs.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overnight and day camp instructor for children ages 4 – 17, including living onsite in shared space with overnight campers
- Plan, implement and grow the Leaders in Training teen program
- Facilitate interactive and inquiry based environmental education programs to learners of all ages in multiple settings including but not limited to schools, community engagements and special events.
- Assist with curriculum design, program promotion, pre-program communication, development of props and materials, and program evaluation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities desired:
- Ability to lead environmental science and leadership programs which develop critical and creative thinking skills for diverse audiences in formal and non-formal outdoor and classroom settings
- Responsible, creative, enthusiastic, flexible, and dedicated to providing a safe and age-appropriate learning environment
- Effective communication and customer service skills, including public speaking and communication with parents, guardians and participants
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn local bird species identification and natural history
- Solid understanding of environmental education standards and philosophy
- Strong organizational and logistical skills, and able to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Able to clear state and federal background checks and drug screens
- A valid U.S. driver’s license and personal transportation
Education and Experience desired:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, natural resources, life sciences, environmental interpretation or education or equivalent experience.
- Experience leading informal environmental education/interpretation programs to diverse audiences, including children
- Demonstrated experience with safely transporting children in 15-passenger van or other rental vehicles
- Experience working with volunteers
- Current CPR and First Aid Certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer: Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage members of the BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and other underrepresented communities to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other class protected by law.
COVID-19 Policy: Bird Conservancy is committed to protecting and enhancing the welfare of its employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a condition of employment, all newly hired employees must provide to Bird Conservancy’s human resources representative either proof of full vaccination at employment start date or agree in written form to potential weekly testing until further notice. Any proof of vaccination or weekly test results submitted to Bird Conservancy will remain confidential.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their supervisor. Nothing in this job description shall create or is intended to create, or shall be construed to constitute a contract of employment, express or implied. Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
Please send cover letter and resume with three professional references in one document to email@example.com with the subject line Environmental Educator.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We will review applications on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.