Salary: $76,180.00 – $102,476.00 Annually
Location: King County – Bellevue, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Remote Employment: Flexible/Hybrid
Job Number: 23DOT-NWR-80572
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Division: Northwest Region
Opening Date: 06/29/2023
Closing Date: 7/13/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a Transportation Engineer 3 (TE3) to serve as the Environmental Compliance Supervisor on the I-405/SR 167 Program projects and provide independent evaluation of construction project compliance with environmental regulations, permits and the Contract. WSDOT’s mission is to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options to improve communities and economic vitality for people and businesses. The top candidate will support the department’s mission by ensuring highway construction projects are built in compliance with the Contract documents and documented accurately in a timely manner. This position is critical in fostering a respectful and healthy work environment with focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
What to Expect
This position provides services to customers located throughout the state. Therefore, regular travel is required to and from construction sites to perform work at the assigned project site or other WSDOT offices using a WSDOT assigned truck or van.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Environmental Compliance Supervisor will:
- Inspect, recommend mitigation measures to the Project Engineer, and determine acceptability of Best Management Practice (BMP) installations and repairs.
- Monitor and document BMPs and enforce the implementation of permit requirements.
- Provide oversight to the Design-Builder on environmental related construction activities.
- Represent the project in day-to-day interaction with the Design-Builder’s Environmental Compliance Manager.
- Read and interpret environmental permits and conditions.
- Coordinate, review, and provide comments on design documents to ensure they are in compliance with the Contract, permits, and legal requirements.
- Research and prepare modifications and extensions to permits and similar approvals through the I-405 Environmental Manager.
- Track the effectiveness of environmental incentives and disincentives as they are implemented.
- Draft Environmental Compliance Assurance Procedures (ECAP) notifications for review by the Project Engineer.
- Supervise environmental inspection verification staff of engineers and technicians.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- One (1) year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 (TE2), equivalent construction project inspector, Transportation Planning Specialist 2 (TPS2), or equivalent experience working with environmental permits and conditions or inspection duties with an environmental focus, OR two (2) years of experience performing semi-skilled technical engineering work as Transportation Technician 3 (TT3) or equivalent working with Environmental permits and conditions. Note: college level or vocational/technical course work in engineering or environmental permitting or other closely related field will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Knowledge of environmental permitting process and ability to evaluate construction project compliance.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Must obtain Construction Site Erosion and Sediment Control Certification within 180 days of appointment date and maintain certification within position.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Construction Site Erosion and Sediment Control Certification
- Experience reading and interpreting Environmental permits and conditions.
- Experience reading project plans and conducting field reviews.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- This position offers flexible/hybrid remote work options. This position is not eligible for telework when performing field site duties.
- This position will include office and field work. Field work is performed outdoors in construction field environments that may be forested, in inclement weather on construction sites in the daytime or nighttime. Exposure to hazards may include exhaust, high-speed traffic, steep or uneven terrain, and/or heavy construction equipment. Some projects may involve working under live traffic conditions, (e.g., freeways, interstates, highways, etc.).
- The salary listed includes the legislative approved 5% salary premium for positions in King County. The legislative approved general wage increase of 4%, eligible on July 1, 2023, is also included in the listed salary.
- In addition to base salary, employees may be entitled to other forms of compensation depending on the type, duties, or location of the position. For union-represented positions, more information on other forms of compensation can be found in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements. Information on other compensation types for non-represented positions can be found in Chapter 357-28 of the Washington Administrative Code.
- WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
For mor information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4103642/environmental-compliance-supervisor-te3. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.