Salary: $57,886.80 – $70,529.28 Annually
Location: Mason County, WA
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 202300010
Department: PUBLIC WORKS
Opening Date: 05/17/2023
Closing Date: 6/17/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Internal posting with Mason County Engineers Guild is concurrent with the public. Therefore, if a qualified candidate from within the bargaining unit applies, that person could be selected for the position.
Performs design and construction inspection work for all types of public works projects within the public right-of-way in accordance with established policy and professional standards, including but not limited to:
- Roadway, bridge, wall, drainage, and streetlighting design and inspection
- Coordinating the development of permits
- Identifying ROW needs and coordinating the acquisition of right-of-way
- Performing and overseeing technical studies
- Developing and managing consultant contracts
- Responding to emergencies
- Performs data collection, analysis, and maintenance of databases.
Examples of Duties
This position may work with in the follow areas, but not required to be proficient in all areas.
Prepares construction plans and specifications for road, bridge and Stormwater projects as assigned. Drafts plans and plan details using engineering design software. Prepares estimates and performs quantity calculations. Provide design information & exhibits necessary for environmental documentation, permitting and ROW acquisition.
Observes construction activities and enforces adherence to engineering drawings, contract specifications and provisions, materials acceptance and testing, and workmanship for public and private projects. Maintains accurate and detailed construction records such as: daily reports, field notes, as-built drawings, etc. Records may be used in the preparation of pay estimates, change orders, and construction documentation files for review.
Reviews design calculations and construction plans for new development and inspects to ensure compliance with standards and county code. Provides technical support to code compliance officers. Prepares and reviews code revisions.
Performs traffic engineering functions such as traffic data collection and correlation, assessment of roadway pavement conditions, acquiring/maintaining data and preparation of reports to the County Road Administration Board. Performs data analysis to support or develop recommendations for pavement preservation and safety projects.
Performs inspections within public rights-of-way. Areas of inspections include but are not limited to, underground utility construction. Observes construction and enforces adherence to engineering drawings and to establish standards for quality of materials and workmanship. Inspects and monitors construction work of all private utilities (electrical, gas and water) or communications companies (telephone, cable) performing work within public right of way for conformance to franchise agreements and County requirements.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
Provides response for County-wide emergencies. Duties may include, but are not limited to, staffing the County’s Emergency Operations Center, inspecting damaged facilities, preparation of estimates for repairs and other necessary documentation for project funding, coordination with consultants, preparation of emergency PS&E, and inspection of emergency repairs.
Shows initiative in performing job functions.
Regular, reliable, and punctual attendance.
Perform other job functions as assigned.
- Use of computers for drafting and design tasks as well as for email, word processing, spreadsheet, scheduling, internet research, graphics, database management, and use of printers/plotters and digital cameras in support of work responsibilities;
- Engineering principles, practices and methods;
- Basic math, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry and various engineering formulas and construction methods;
- County, State and Federal regulations and codes pertaining to public works engineering and construction, including but not limited to: WSDOT Standard Specifications, Local Agency Guidelines (LAG), AASHTO Design Standards, Stormwater Management Manual and County code;
- Survey and mapping principles and practices;
- Engineering plans, specifications, CADD procedures and drafting standards;
- References, including but not limited to: WSDOT Design Manual, Standard Plans, Plans Preparation Manual, Highway Runoff Manual, AASHTO, MUTCD, etc.
- Principles and practices of road construction, including earthwork, roadway, bridge, utility, and drainage. Understanding of testing requirements, ability to perform testing if required, and working knowledge of test results allowing for acceptance/rejection of materials;
- Statistical analysis;
- Traffic data collection equipment and methodology;
- Road database system including collection and analysis of data.
- Read and interpret plans and specifications prepared to any Engineering and Architectural Standard;
- Inspect and evaluate the condition of public works structures.
- Manage workflow.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- AS degree in civil engineering, surveying or related field, or
- Equivalent related field or office experience in civil engineering, contract administration, surveying or geodetic work.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
A valid Washington State Driver license
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/masoncountywa/jobs/4046884/engineering-construction-technician