Salary: $69,072.00 – $92,868.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Lacey, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
The Communication’s Program within the Department of Ecology is looking to fill a Digital Content Manager (Communications Consultant 5) position. This position can be located in multiple region locations:
This position is located in our Headquarters Office in Lacey, WA.
This position is located in our Northwest Region Office (NWRO) in Shoreline, WA.
This position is located in our Central Region Office (CRO) in Union Gap, WA.
This position is located in our Eastern Region Office (ERO) in Spokane, WA.
This position is located in our Richland Field Office (RFO) in Richland, WA.
This position is located in our Vancouver Field Office (VFO) in Vancouver, WA.
Upon hire, you must live within a commutable distance from the duty station.
We are looking for someone who loves to tell environmental stories through our web and social media channels. Someone who seeks a collaborative, creative workplace and an opportunity to do meaningful work. As our Digital Content Manager, you’ll be responsible for understanding our audiences and fostering engagement with our environmental protection and restoration work.
Agency mission: Ecology’s mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s land, air and water for current and future generations.
Program Mission: The Communication Program’s mission is to provide clear, accurate communications to explain the work Ecology does, why it matters, and the science behind it.
Tele-work options for this position: This position will be eligible for up to a 90% tele-work schedule. Applicants with questions about position location options, tele-work, and flexible or compressed schedules are encouraged to reach out to the contact person listed below in “other information.” Schedules are dependent upon position needs and are subject to change.
Application Timeline: This position will remain open until filled, we will review applications on September 11, 2023. In order to be considered, please submit an application on or before September 10, 2023. If your application isn’t received by this date, it may not be considered. The agency reserves the right to make a Hire any time after the initial screening date.
Please Note: We will review all applications received before the date above. Additional reviews after this date typically only occur if we have a small applicant pool, or if a successful Hire was not made.
What makes this role unique? This position is an unparalleled opportunity for an experienced digital media professional looking to plan and create compelling content for Ecology’s website and social media accounts. In this role, you will provide leadership, oversight, and execution of Ecology’s digital media strategies while instinctively telling Ecology’s stories in fun and creative ways that drive interest and engagement.
We are seeking applicants with a passion for creating and managing strategic content, who can help guide our programs in developing compelling digital content that creates a unified voice and brand across our digital channels.
What you will do:
- Primary storyteller and manager for Ecology’s digital content on the website and social media accounts. Make Ecology’s work and stories relevant, timely, fun and interesting. Connect our work to trending news and events. Create stories that resonate with each channels’ unique audiences and cultures that drive engagement.
- Embrace the vital role of ensuring social media accounts and website content are accurate, fresh, diverse, and reflect the agency’s desired brand and tone. This will entail managing and balancing the release of blogs, web content, videos, news releases and social media posts to ensure storytelling is comprehensive and visible.
- Develop social listening strategies to identify relevant content opportunities and improve engagement with our audiences. Identify and track social media trends, including other government agencies, as well as look for collaborative, partnership opportunities.
- Work through formal and informal channels to build broad-based relationships and support throughout the agency with the goal of building diverse, sustainable and collaborative networks.
- Produce social media content using Adobe Creative Suite, Canva and emerging technologies to showcase our unique stories and share them in creative ways.
- Collaborate with executive communications, communication managers and program staff to create and post engaging stories.
Years of required experience indicated below are full-time equivalent years. Full-time equivalent experience means that any experience where working hours were less than 40 hours per week will be prorated in order to meet the equivalency of full-time. We would calculate this by looking at the total hours worked per week, divide this by 40, and then multiply by the total number of months worked. Examples of the proration calculations are:
- 30 hours worked per week for 20 months: (30/40) x 20 months = 15 months full-time equivalent
- 20 hours worked per week for 12 months: (20/40) x 12 months = 6 months full-time equivalent
Experience for both required and desired qualifications can be gained through various combinations of formal professional employment, education, and volunteer experience. See below for how you may qualify.
Total of eight (8) years of experience and/or education
Experience may include, but is not limited to: Journalism, public relations/information, news media, digital/social media, marketing, digital accessibility or writing/editing.
Education involving major study in: Journalism, communications, public relations, news media, digital/social media, English, marketing, humanities, or closely allied field.
|Possible Combinations.||College credit hours or degree – as listed above.||Years of professional level experience – as listed above.|
|Combination 1||No college credit hours or degree.||8 years of experience.|
|Combination 2||I have 30-59 semester or 45-89 quarter credits.||7 years of experience.|
|Combination 3||I have 60-89 semester or 90-134 quarter credits (AA degree).||6 years of experience.|
|Combination 4||I have 90-119 semester or 135-179 quarter credits.||5 years of experience.|
|Combination 5||A Bachelor’s Degree.||4 years of experience.|
|Combination 6||A Master’s Degree or higher.||2 year of experience.|
We highly encourage you to apply even if you do not have some (or all) of the desired experience below.
- Experience using Adobe Premier for video editing and Adobe Creative Cloud software.
- Excellent writing skills that include a basic understanding of AP Style, and ability to copy-edit and correct grammatical errors.
- Experience managing web content using an enterprise content management system (CMS)
- Proficiency in Word, HTML, Excel, Outlook and other software applications and technology tools required to support communication and the web in a highly visible state public agency.
- Ability to manage highly sensitive situations or crises while remaining calm and professional.
Note: Having some (or all) of this desired experience may make your application more competitive in a highly competitive applicant pool.
It’s in the applicant’s best interest to submit all of the documents listed below. Applications without these documents may be declined.
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position.
- A resume outlining your experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to the minimum qualifications of this position.
- A list of three professional references.
- Two creative writing samples.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4175417/digital-content-manager-communications-consultant-5