Salary: $66,377.00 – $89,271.00 Annually
Location: King County – Seattle – Other, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 23DOT-NWR-13250m
Closing: 4/10/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking to fill multiple Transportation Engineer 2 positions in Seattle, WA to serve as Construction Compliance Inspectors. These positions support the organization’s mission by ensuring highway design build projects are built in compliance with contract documents and mandatory standards. This is accomplished by inspecting contract work to assure compliance, keeping accurate, complete, and detailed field records, ensuring that environmental regulations are being adhered to, maintaining accurate, complete, and detailed field records and work is performed in a safe manner.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Construction Compliance Inspectors will:
- Document and report on Design Builders compliance with approved contract documents (Release for Construction Plans, Special Provisions, and WSDOT Standard Specification).
- Document daily inspection activities by taking photos and filling out daily inspection reports using a WSDOT issued Personal Computer or Laptop.
- Effectively communicate with the Design Builder and WSDOT staff any noncompliance issues as a result of oversight inspections.
- Document noncompliance activities as they occur, within the Inspector’s Daily Report (IDRs).
- Conduct regular contract compliance audits,
- Safely operate a state issued vehicle to and from job sites for field inspection or other official activities.
- Traverse uneven terrain in various weather conditions while transporting up to 35 lbs. of equipment.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Certification as an Engineer-In-Training
- One (1) year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1.
- Two (2) years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1
- A master’s degree with major study in civil engineering, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, soil mechanics, traffic, or transportation
In addition, the following are required:
- A valid driver’s license, with the ability to safely travel to and from various job sites within the region.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, with contractors, designers, other team members, support offices, and the public.
- Knowledge and proficiency with computer technology, including knowledge of engineering and computer aided drafting software applications.
- Knowledge of construction/engineering procedures and practices, research methods, data collection, and communication/correspondence practices.
- Experience working effectively and professionally with others. This includes co-workers, contractors, other agencies, and the public either in writing, telephone, and/or in person.
- The ability to adjust work schedule to coincide with the contractors’ activities as needed, including working long hours and nights.
- The ability to follow safety policies and regulations while performing the job duties described.
- The ability to manipulate and transport up to 40 lbs.
- The ability to obtain a General Inspector certification within six (6) months of hire.
- The ability to obtain and maintain certification for construction materials testing.
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, review, and produce contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- The ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain, and work in confined spaces.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Experience as a construction inspector inspecting drainage, HMA, bridge construction, environmental and in water work.
- Experience working for long periods of time on major highways with complex traffic control set up.
- Experience inspecting fish passage projects with environmentally vulnerable project locations.
- Experience acting as an on-site lead representing an agency.
- Experience mentoring and directing the duties of coworkers.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- This position is not eligible for remote work.
- The salary listed includes the legislative approved 5% salary premium for positions in King County.
- In addition to base salary, employees may be entitled to other forms of compensation depending on the type, duties, or location of the position. For union-represented positions, more information on other forms of compensation can be found in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements. Information on other compensation types for non-represented positions can be found in Chapter 357-28 of the Washington Administrative Code.
- Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 357-16-197 mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Compliance with this mandate is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 12 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the “APPLY” button – Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
*WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. All persons, regardless of race, ethnicity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, and/ or gender identity, are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Amanda Strebeck, at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please be sure to reference Construction Compliance Inspector #13250 in the subject line.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/3966656/construction-compliance-inspector-transportation-engineer-2-multiple-positions