Job Type: Permanent
Salary Details: $55,000 – 62,000
Deadline: Jun 16, 2023
Palmer Land Conservancy, Colorado conservation leader, seeks a Communications Manager to connect, inspire and engage the Palmer brand with current and prospective members and stakeholders across southern Colorado. This position reports to the Vice President of External Affairs and is responsible for growing and managing Palmer’s communications programs through compelling and inspiring storytelling to mobilize the next generation of land lovers. The Communications Manager will also work closely with the Membership and Events Manager, and other Palmer staff.
With over 137,000 acres under permanent conservation, Palmer Land Conservancy is one of the leading nonprofit land conservation organizations in Colorado and is the 17th largest local land trust in the nation based on acreage conserved. We seek a highly creative, motivated, and passionate individual who will bring their love of the land, local food, and nature, coupled with their expertise in communications, to the team. Our ideal candidate will understand brand management and strategy and have an excellent skill-set for storytelling, writing, and design. This individual also needs to possess the leadership qualities to manage a comprehensive communications program. This is a permanent, full-time position with generous time off, a comprehensive benefits package, and significant room for growth.
General Brand Communications
- Guide Palmer’s brand through the strategic development of high-quality, consistent narrative and design across all communication platforms.
- Develop and implement an annual and iterative strategic communications process, plan, and calendar that leverages Palmer’s mission, projects, programs, and people for social good and maximum impact.
- Create, execute, and help manage integrated marketing and membership campaigns to raise brand awareness and grow the membership base.
- Manage the development and promotion of lifestyle-based publications including Palmer’s Southern Colorado Local Food Guide, the Colorado Good Life Magazine, and more.
- Develop, track, and analyze key performance indicators (KPIs) to gain insight on brand and communication performance.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive and strategic digital communications plan to enhance Palmer’s reach and presence.
- Responsible for design and content development for Palmer’s digital communications including bi-monthly e-newsletter, blog, and website.
- Manage and build Palmer’s social media strategy and online presence.
- Manage the design and development of key print materials including Palmer’s bi-annual magazine, annual report, direct mail campaigns, promotional and publicity materials, and other print collateral as needed.
- Manage the production, cost estimation, and budgeting of all materials and act as the project manager with printers, designers, and direct mail companies.
- Coordinate the development of paid and earned media as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- 5-7 years of experience working in brand management, marketing, and/or communications with event and outreach experience.
- Passion and commitment to conservation – including nature, outdoor recreation and local food, agriculture, and water.
- Excellent creative writing, storytelling, and content creation skills.
- Graphic design: Must be highly skilled with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Must be adept and skilled with digital platforms including websites, eNewsletters, and social media platforms.
- Strong project management experience with an eye for detail.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment and within a variety of technology platforms.
- Valid driver’s license
- Physical demands may involve:
- Lifting materials and equipment – including, but not limited to, office supplies, event supplies, and boxes of swag – up to 25 pounds.
- Working in variable weather conditions at remote locations on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
Palmer offers full-time employees top tier benefits including: robust health care package which includes medical, dental, and vision benefits; retirement plan with company contribution; life insurance; short-term and long-term disability; paid parental leave; generous paid time off.
Palmer leadership values a culture of generosity, trust, and dedication to conservation. The work environment is goal-based, and work plans and performance are focused on identifying and achieving attainable, but ambitious objectives on a quarterly timeline. This is not a micro-managed environment, and instead, employees are trusted to get their work done with a high level of personal responsibility. Palmer was voted as one of Colorado Springs best workplaces in 2022.
Palmer’s employees are hardworking and high impact performers. In exchange, Palmer staff are supported in pursuing work-life flexibility, including remote work.
How to Apply
The position is open until filled. To apply, applicants should submit the following 1) professional writing and graphic design example, 2) resume, and 3) answers to the questions below as a single PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Communications Manager.
Please limit responses to no more than 200 words per question:
1. Why does conserving land, water, and nature in Colorado matter to you?
2. Describe your experience relevant to the core responsibilities of this position.
3. Why are you interested in working for Palmer Land Conservancy and where do you see yourself in 3 years?