Salary: $57,324.00 – $77,028.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Remote Employment: Flexible/Hybrid
Job Number: 2023-5-6986/7784-06050
Department: Dept. of Natural Resources
Opening Date: 05/04/2023
Closing Date: Continuous
Work for Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to promote a diverse array of outdoor recreation opportunities. From mountain bike trails to campgrounds to parasailing, Washington’s public lands offer incredible opportunities – and we want you to help us get the word out. Under the leadership of Commissioner Franz, the agency is working to expand access to recreation across Washington’s public lands. The successful candidate will be motivated, creative, and hardworking, with a successful track record of communicating complex issues using a variety of mediums and tools. The communications team is currently working under a hybrid model, with two days in the office weekly.
As a media liaison, you will identify positive media opportunities, pitch stories, write news releases, develop talking points, coordinate media interviews, and serve as an agency spokesperson when needed. You must be hungry to tell our story and get people excited about the value of public lands and waters. You’ll also communicate about DNR’s efforts to prepare for and fight wildfires, build community resilience, and tackle climate change.
You will provide strategic guidance to agency leadership, stakeholders, and partners to help DNR engage the public. Expect to help build, manage, and staff outreach events and develop website and social media content. At DNR, you will join a tight-knit team of skilled communicators who work on topics that are incredibly rewarding. You will work in close proximity to a statewide elected official and will have the opportunity to travel and experience our incredible communities.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, public relations or related field of study OR a combination of education and/or equivalent experience.
- At least four years of progressively responsible communications experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to make complex information understandable to the general public using plain language.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships, even in times of high pressure and conflict.
- Experience writing and editing for organizations, including developing copy and editing copy for news releases, factsheets, social media, web, and special publications such as reports and white papers.
- Fluency in the digital space, including using social media tools and content management systems.
- Experience interpreting and analyzing public information, policy, and issues.
- Familiarity with photography and video filming.
- Ability to think innovatively and creatively, and change course if necessary.
- The incumbent in this position is required to travel and must have a valid driver’s license.
- DNR Core Competencies:
- Personal Accountability
- Value Others
- Compassionate Communication
- Inspire Others
- Commitment to Excellence
Special Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
- This position may be asked to work nonstandard hours for special projects or trips.
- A valid driver’s license and have two years of driving experience. This position requires driving as an essential function. Finalists and/or interview candidates will be asked to provide a driving record from all states in which they have held a license during the past three years.
- Employees of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) are required to complete their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines (be fully vaccinated against COVID-19) or be approved for a medical or religious accommodation as a condition of employment. Please note, any offer of employment is contingent and no start date will be approved until you have either verified your vaccine status or have an approved accommodation. “Fully vaccinated” means the following: An employee is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after they have received the second dose in a two-dose series of a COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Novavax) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen) authorized for emergency use, licensed, or otherwise approved by the FDA or listed for emergency use, or otherwise approved by the World Health Organization.
- Experience working for an elected official.
- Experience working in media relations.
- Experience working in natural resources, parks, recreation, or similar field.
- To be considered you must apply online at www.careers.wa.gov. You must complete the entire online application to be considered for the position.
- Attach a letter of interest describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position profile and the position required, desired and special requirements.
- Attach a resume describing your experience and qualifications.
- Provide three to five professional references – you may attach a document, use the References text field in the online application, or include with resume.
- Important: Do not attach any documents that include photos or private information (social security number, year of birth, etc.).
- Complete all supplemental questions.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4027633/communications-consultant-4