Salary: $2,957.00 – $3,915.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Department: Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
Job Number: 2023-05378
Closing: 5/3/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
SCIENTIFIC TECHNICIAN 2
Olympia, Washington – Thurston County
Do you enjoy working in a laboratory? Are you eager to collect data that will be used for pre-season planning and in-season management? Help process all tagged salmon specimens – up to 100,000 from fisheries, spawning ground recoveries, and hatchery returns in Washington Waters!
With your experience you will collect and organize data from all Washington fisheries that others will use to manage upcoming fishing seasons.
You thrive on building collaboration and teamwork, working with other employees to ensure counts and data are correct and counted accurately.
The optimal applicant has previous experience with Coded Wire Tag (CWT) extractions and readings.
We are seeking a candidate who respects and values the opinions of others, creating an inclusive team environment where every member feels they contribute value to the project and WDFW.
Our CWT Recovery Technician will,
- Work collaboratively with other employees to ensure snouts data are counted accurately.
- Organize samples by fishery.
- Maintain an organized laboratory space, keeping tools and equipment in the same location so that all employees can find them.
- Interpret/decipher and organize data using a CWT viewer to read data on tags.
- Transcribe error-free data.
- Record data in all fields of Regional Mark Information System (RMIS) database.
- Enter data into the correct recovery year, fishery, and assigned batch number.
- Enter alpha and numeric characters accurately.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Work Setting, including hazards:
- The work is performed in a laboratory setting. The odor in the lab, at times, can be extremely unpleasant and the tissue samples are bloody. This position requires manual dexterity and mobility and the ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and accommodate numerous interruptions while performing multiple tasks. It also requires moving or lifting of equipment, snout bags, and garbage cans weighing between 15-60 pounds with assistance.
- This position requires lifting of equipment, snout bags, and garbage cans weighing between 15-60 pounds with assistance.
- May include office hazards such as working under fluorescent light, repetitively entering data into computer, looking at computer monitor for long periods of time, sitting or standing for long periods of time.
- Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
- Workload demands may require work outside the assigned work hours and adjustment of work schedules.
- Travel Requirements:
- May travel to various hatchery locations throughout the state.
- Tools and Equipment:
- Coring machine or handheld corer, scalpels, knives – various assortment, V-Detector and wand, cutting boards, magnet, air compressor, platform truck, PC, and other lab equipment.
- Customer Interactions:
- Will interact with biologists, both internal and external.
College course work involving major study in biology, zoology, fisheries, chemistry, natural sciences, or closely allied field will substitute year-for-year for experience.
- Graduation from high school or GED and two (2) years of experience as a Scientific Technician 1.
- Graduation from high school or GED and two (2) years of laboratory or field experience as an assistant to a biologist, chemist, or zoologist.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Experience with CWT extraction and reading.
- Ability to use a CWT viewer, PC, and other lab equipment.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: WDFW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment. You will be required to provide proof of vaccination as part of the hiring process. Please do not upload your vaccination documentation with your application materials – your vaccination status will be verified by your supervisor before you will be allowed to work. Exemptions may be granted for religious or medical purposes.
Please note: Failure to follow the instructions below may lead to disqualification.
In order to successfully apply for this position, you MUST complete your profile at www.careers.wa.gov and attach the following to your profile before completing the online application:
- A cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications of this position (Generic cover letter will not be accepted).
- A current resume.
- Three professional references.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4008626/coded-wire-tag-cwt-recovery-technician-scientific-technician-2-permanent