Job Type: Temporary
Salary Details: $17-19/hour (commensurate with experience)
Deadline: Feb 28, 2023
Hours of work: 40 hours per week, weekends required
The Mottled duskywing is an endangered butterfly in Canada and the populations remaining in Ontario are confined to remnant tallgrass habitats, which in themselves are globally endangered. Our research examines the demography and viability of these populations which will aid in conservation of the species. We are seeking enthusiastic, up-and-coming field ecologists to join our 2023 field team. Assistants will conduct butterfly mark-resighting surveys in the Burlington area.
- Assist in daily butterfly mark-resighting surveys in endangered prairie and savanna habitats
- Record, digitize, and organize field data
- Conduct vegetation and leaf litter surveys
- Support of the Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory captive rearing program, including: capture and transport of butterflies; release of adult, larvae, and eggs as needed; and communication/coordination with Conservatory staff
- Effective communication with coworkers, the public, and employees of partner agencies
- Additional tasks as assigned, which could include literature review, report writing, etc.
- A strong interest in butterfly ecology, entomology, and/or conservation
- Plant, insect, and/or butterfly identification skills considered an asset
- An affinity for being outdoors and comfortable hiking in hot summer conditions amongst biting insects and poison ivy
- Experience conducting biological surveys
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Transportation to and from accommodation site at beginning and end of contract
- Preference will be given to candidates who qualify for government youth employment initiative funding:
- Between 15 and 30 years old;
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or someone who has been granted refugee status in Canada; and
- Legally entitled to work according to relevant provincial/territorial legislation
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references in a single PDF file to email@example.com by February 28, 2023.
The file should be named as follows: “SURNAMEfirstname_MODU2023” with an email subject heading of “2023 Burlington Field Assistant”.