Compensation$39,520 to $45,760 Annually
Benefits Offered401K, Dental, Medical
Why Work Here?
“Great benefits + growth opportunities, excellent positive organizational culture w/ high standards, direct care to +50 wolves”
TO APPLY for this position, please email email@example.com with attached resume and 1-page cover letter (both docs in MS Word), and with “applicant: ACFT” as the email subject. Application deadline: December 16, 2022
The Animal Care and Facilities Technician (ACFT) is a crucial member of the Animal Care Department at Wolf Haven International. The ACFT’s daily contributions ensure our sanctuary residents and staff have a safe and comfortable environment. The ACFT works under the guidance of the Sanctuary Manager (and, in the Manager’s absence, the Lead Animal Care Specialist), and in collaboration with the Facilities Manager, to ensure that every aspect of our work reflects our values and philosophy as a Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries (GFAS) accredited sanctuary. The ACFT supports high-quality daily care for the animals by assisting with regular maintenance of the sanctuary, office buildings, and grounds as needed.
Wolf Haven’s Animal Care team is integral to the sanctuary’s success. We seek someone with passion and commitment for wolves and wildlife, animal wellbeing, sanctuary philosophy, and Wolf Haven’s mission (see https://wolfhaven.org). Key skills desired include: 1) high-standards for individualized animal care, 2) enjoyment of physical work in the outdoors, 3) positive and collaborative team player, 4) task-oriented and strong project management, 3) focus on risk management and safe practices.
All Wolf Haven staff and volunteers support the philosophy that recognizes each animal as an individual whose quality-of-life matters. Our decision making processes give the highest priority to the welfare of the wolves. Following best practices, and out of respect for the wildness of wolves, we take a hands-off approach to caring for the animals in our sanctuary. We strive to follow the agreed-upon best practices in every way, to further our mission to conserve and protect wolves and their habitat.
Please note: Wolf Haven handles animals according to a system of safe contact for essential veterinary and husbandry care; otherwise, no physical contact occurs between caregivers and sanctuary residents.
· Support Wolf Haven’s Animal Care team to maintain GFAS standards throughout the sanctuary.
· Follow all established sanctuary safety, disease control, drug/equipment protocols, and policies that reflect best practices. Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, guest, animal, or the organization at risk.
· Participate in daily animal care duties, including preparing food and enrichment, feeding, providing fresh water, and cleaning and disinfecting food prep surfaces and equipment.
· Participate in cleaning and maintaining wolf enclosures, including removing animal excrement and food remnants, scrubbing water buckets and tubs, and changing straw bedding.
· Perform grounds, equipment, and facility maintenance in the sanctuary as needed, including fencing repairs, mowing, weed whacking, snow/ice removal, general repair, cleaning, painting, minor carpentry and construction projects, and plumbing, electrical, and general contracting (as possible and appropriate).
· Perform tasks to ensure an environment of safety, including monthly water tests and fire extinguisher inspections, earthquake proofing office fixtures, and participation in monthly Safety Committee meetings. Safety-oriented tasks will change monthly with Safety Committee action items.
· Provide logistical support for Wildlife Handling and Chemical Immobilization courses, and wolf catch-ups.
· Participate in staff meetings and discussions, Animal Care team meetings, and planning sessions.
· Ensure and model excellent customer service to guests, volunteers, and fellow staff, while promoting our mission and values as a sanctuary.
· Participate as a member of the Wolf Haven team, contributing views and opinions related to our mission.
· Practice and encourage the compassionate humane treatment of all animals.
· Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis, and occasionally up to 130 lbs. (e.g., roadkill) with the help of a co-worker.
· Ability to stand for long periods, frequently bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, push, pull, climb, and balance.
· Physical stamina to work outdoors for long periods and under inclement weather.
· Ability to perform duties in an environment with exposure to animal carcasses, organs, byproducts, bedding materials (e.g., straw), stinging insects, etc. for prolonged periods of time.
· Must meet physical requirements.
· Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of Wolf Haven.
· Recognize each animal as an individual whose quality-of-life matters, whether in a sanctuary or the wild.
· Comfortable working within a sanctuary environment and willing to accommodate the animals’ needs in a way that reflects our values as a true sanctuary.
· Highly motivated and able to work flexible hours (including weekends and holidays).
· Team player willing to maintain a positive and collaborative environment.
· Experience working with power tools/equipment (e.g., hedge trimmer, weed whackers, chainsaw, driving mower) preferred. Training will always be provided.
· Proficient in basic computer applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets, file management, shared drives, and internet usage, preferred.
· Ability to drive a vehicle with standard transmission. Maintain a WA State driver’s license.
· Maintain current CPR/AED and first aid certification. Training can be provided.
This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Wolf Haven International is an at-will employer.
Company address: 3111 Offut Lake Rd SE, Tenino, WA 98589
Posted date: 5 days ago