Program Type: AmeriCorps State / National
Program: 23-24 WSC Ecostudies Institute Prairie Science Technician
Program Start/End Date: 10/01/2023 – 08/15/2024
Work Schedule: Full Time
Education level: College graduate
Age Requirement: Minimum: 18 Maximum: 99
Program Locations: WASHINGTON
Accepting Applications: From 06/06/2023 To 09/16/2023
Contact: Sarah Hamman, 120 Union Ave SE Olympia WA 98501, 360-790-4180,
Listing ID: 105607

This is an AmeriCorps national service position. It is contingent on funding and open until filled. Ecostudies Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the conservation of native species and their ecosystems. We address complex environmental challenges with effective partnerships, conservation research, and strategic, science-based management. Because ecological conservation is vitally linked to community, we promote environmental justice by removing barriers to engagement and improving access to environmental education and career opportunities for underserved populations. Ecostudies Institute works to conserve and restore prairie and oak woodland habitat for native plants, birds mammals and butterflies -some of which are found nowhere else on Earth. Ecostudies seeks four full-time AmeriCorps members to fill prairie restoration service opportunities throughout southwest Washington. All members will learn restoration and monitoring techniques, contribute to regional restoration efforts, and become involved in the PNW conservation community. We will begin interviews for these 10.5 month positions in June 2023 and positions begin in October 2023.

Member Duties: The Prairie Science Technician will spend 60% of their time assisting staff with experimental research, project and species monitoring, and data management; the remaining 40% will be spent on restoration practices, including controlling invasive species, participating in prescribed burns and planting native species. Scientific studies this member will participate in include grazing management studies, direct seeding monitoring, and evaluation of invasive species removal strategies. This will involve conducting literature reviews, experiment set-up, data collection, data entry, quality control, and data management. This member will serve with Ecostudies Institute staff, state and local agency staff, tribal members and private landowners at several prairie sites across western Washington. This position entails a high level of responsibility and will draw heavily on the AmeriCorps member’s people skills, sound work ethic, scientific background and positive attitude.

Program Benefits: Training, Health Coverage, Stipend, Education award upon successful completion of service, Childcare assistance if eligible

Terms: Permits attendance at school during off hours, Car recommended, Permits working at another job during off hours

Service Areas: Environment

Skills: Environment, Communications, Team Work

For more information and to apply: