Job Type: Paid Internship
Salary Details: $18-$21 per hour
Deadline: Apr 21, 2023
Our Burlington Forestry District has an opening for a qualified individual to help manage the Company’s Whidbey seed orchard. This is a seasonal position near Coupeville, WA that starts immediately and ends October 2023.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Perform cultural activities such as mowing, fertilizer application, grafting, and pruning
- Operate and maintain irrigation systems
- Utilize hand and power tools and operate heavy equipment as needed
- Participate in cone collection projects
- Collect data at seed orchard, progeny test sites, and remote orchards
- Assist in planning herbicide and insecticide applications to control weeds and insects
- Occasionally assist with miscellaneous projects on working forest lands
- Occasional work on weekends may be required
- Completion of, or progress toward, bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Agriculture, or a related field preferred, but experience may substitute
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Current valid driver’s license
- Ability to operate a four-wheel drive vehicles and farm equipment such as tractors and orchard lift
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Previous experience with herbicide application or a valid WA Pesticide License is preferred
Compensation includes competitive hourly wage and housing allowance for qualifying individuals. Sierra Pacific is an (EOE) Equal Opportunity Employer, including those with a disability and veterans.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at: spi-ind.com/internships
Applicants must provide a cover letter and resume when submitting application.
Applications Close: April 21st 2023
Interviews will be ongoing as applications are received.
Positions may be filled prior to deadline.
Employment Period: MARCH – OCTOBER 2023 (flexible start & end dates)
Flexibility for educational goals such as class enrollment will be considered.