Job Type: Paid Internship
Salary Details: $18/hr
Deadline: Aug 13, 2023
The Environmental Outreach Intern is a part-time, limited-term position that participates in and delivers programs and information to engage diverse audiences in the stewardship work of the Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District (NVSWCD). The Environmental Outreach Intern will support the Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District’s award-winning spring outreach programs. We reach thousands of people and have a deep impact on many youth and adults. The Environmental Outreach Intern will report to the Communication and Education Specialist and work closely with the Executive Director and other NVSWCD staff. This is an excellent opportunity for a student or early career environmental educator with a wide skillset to support local conservation efforts with local government, community partners, and Fairfax County residents on a supportive and experienced team.
- Assists with the Conservation Poster Contest including serving as a judge and sharing winners over social media
- Participates in student training events and presentations for the Envirothon program, a natural resources competition for high school students.
- Assists with student field trips
- Participates in Biological Stream Monitoring workshops by leading and assisting volunteer groups, managing program supplies, and obtaining the Virginia Save Our Streams Stream Monitoring
- Supports the Storm Drain Education and Labeling Program by attending labeling events, training volunteers, and managing program
- Participates in Rain Barrel Workshops and Composter
- Leads community outreach and tabling
- Supports the development of outreach and informational material for delivery through social media (Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube), webinars, and printed material.
- Supports NVSWCD events and programs including our annual Native Seedling Sale, the Soil Morphology Course, Potomac Watershed Roundtable, Green Breakfast, and outreach and education events
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong writing and speaking
- Excellent attention to detail
- Professionalism with partners
- Able to work independently; trustworthy and assumes responsibility
- Performs well on a team, excellent relationship with colleagues and
- Learns quickly, not afraid to troubleshoot independently and ask questions.
- Self-starter, able to meet
- Desired: Experience with outreach efforts, social media, web editing
The Environmental Outreach Intern should be comfortable traversing short distances, carrying supplies up to 20 lbs., and fieldwork may require travel across uneven terrain over longer distances. Must be able to work in varying weather conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made available. A valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required. Use of a personal or official vehicle may be required; mileage will be reimbursed at current IRS rate for personal vehicle use. The Environmental Outreach Intern must pass a criminal background check and a driver’s license check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Terms & Compensation
August 28, 2023 – December 8, 2023; 15 weeks, 20 hours/week, $18/hr
The Environmental Outreach Intern will be paid every other week with staff payroll. Taxes will be withheld. This is a limited-term position that does not include benefits.
The Environmental Outreach Intern must display professionalism, patience, attention to detail, a willingness to learn, and a good sense of humor. NVSWCD offers a flexible, hybrid working environment with two days in the office per week after the initial training period. The Environmental Outreach Intern is expected to attend in-person special events as needed. Our office is located at 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 905, Fairfax, VA 22035.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email their resume, accompanied by a cover letter and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, August 13, 2023.
For more information on this role, please see the full position description.