Job Type: Paid Internship
Salary Details: $20 – $30 per hour
Deadline: Apr 26, 2023
Janelle Nolan & Associates Environmental Consulting (JNA Consulting) is a certified small business located in the Sacramento region of California (offices in Diamond Springs and Sacramento). Our professionals provide services in hydroelectric licensing, relicensing, and license compliance; California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)/National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA); Federal and California Endangered Species Act (ESA and CESA); Clean Water Act (CWA); strategic regulatory guidance; and biological resource survey, planning, and management.
Janelle Nolan & Associates Environmental Consulting is seeking summer interns to assist with implementation of botanical and wildlife surveys in the eastern and western Sierra Nevada mountains and foothills of California.
Responsibilities would include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in implementation of special-status botanical surveys and non-native invasive weed (NNIP) surveys;
- Assist in implementation of special-status amphibian and/or wildlife surveys, both reconnaissance and protocol-level;
- Collect GPS coordinates for the location of special-status resources and NNIPs; and
- Compile data and assist in development of technical reports.
- Pursuing a career in botany, wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science, or other relevant subject;
- Strong data collection and critical thinking;
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Interest in or experience with solid backcountry navigational skills;
- Must be physically fit and able to navigate rugged high-elevation forest conditions on foot, and be comfortable backcountry camping for multiple days; and
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Preferred qualifications (not required):
- An associate’s and/or bachelor’s degree in botany, wildlife biology, ecology, environmental sciences, or other relevant subject;
- Wilderness First Aid Certified;
- At least 1-2 years of relevant experience;
- Working knowledge of environmental mapping and database applications (i.e., FieldMaps, Survey123);
- Experience with Sierra Nevada flora and fauna;
- Previous experience leading field surveys and 4WD experience;
- Wildlife survey experience including the following species: foothill and Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frogs, Yosemite toad, northern goshawk, California spotted owl, great gray owl, bald eagle, fisher, marten.
Employment Term: June – October 2023 (Part time). Hourly wage will be determined commensurate with experience, but would range from $20-$30/hour. Training, travel expense reimbursement, and survey-specific equipment will be provided. This is a bill time only position, but we anticipate regular work at least 2-3 days per week.
Web address for company: https://jna-consulting.com/
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should provide a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Robyn Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 26, 2023. Interviews and hiring will be conducted on a tight timeline for this position, so applicants will be evaluated as materials are received.