WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 2021 AT 5:30 PM PST

Register and see full details at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/yt19t0dr/register?fbclid=IwAR2YK5_7FSd7iklV9Q_Hd8mH9c7VPIDG3tB3YBvdBBukM4DdNfuHMYGDcHE

Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants

This is event is presented in partnership with the KU Common Book Program

“Even a wounded world is feeding us. Even a wounded world holds us, giving us moments of wonder and joy. I choose joy over despair. Not because I have my head in the sand, but because joy is what the earth gives me daily and I must return the gift,” writes Robin Wall Kimmerer in Braiding Sweetgrass. This fascinating and thought-provoking collection of essays weaves together botany, the teachings of Indigenous peoples, and Kimmerer’s own experiences as a mother, teacher, and member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation. Her essays explore the intertwined relationship between humans and the countless plant species that co-inhabit our planet, considering ways we can learn from plants as we seek to build a more sustainable world. Braiding Sweetgrass takes on vital and timely themes such as sustainability and the value of reciprocity.

Robin Wall Kimmerer is a Distinguished Teaching Professor of Environmental Biology and Director of the Center for Native Peoples and the Environment at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry.