ODFW Wildlife Student Internship Program

The ODFW wildlife intern program provides valuable training experiences to college students entering the field of wildlife management, while assisting with a variety of headquarters and district activities. Interns assist wildlife area, habitat crew, headquarters, and district wildlife staff performing daily management activities such as population surveys, wildlife captures, and responding to public inquiries. Interns may also participate in the wolf management program, wildlife research program, and conservation strategy implementation.

Most internships occur during the summer quarter, which in Oregon is mid-June to mid-September. However, depending on need, internships can start as early as May, and they may occasionally be offered in the fall as well. Internships are 400 hours (10 weeks or 2.3 months) in duration. The position is classified as a Student Professional/Technical Worker (0150) with an hourly rate of $15.20 (2021 rate). In some cases, temporary housing is provided.

Intern feedback from previous years has been overwhelmingly positive:

“I feel like I’ve learned as much during a 10 week internship at a wildlife area as I would in at least a full term of school, maybe 2 terms.”

“Gold standard of wildlife internships. There are so many experiences and skills to get a taste of and great people to work with.”

“I just really appreciate this being an option. I hope that the program will continue to exist as a way for other students in the future to get to experience wildlife work without having to compete against others who may have multiple years of experience.”

“I loved this internship, I learned about several aspects of a district biologists duties. I am forever grateful toward everyone from ODFW who mentored me throughout the internship. If I was offered the opportunity again I would not hesitate to accept.”

“Awesome program, and I hope it gets continued for others!”

All positions: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/interns/2021.asp