(optional) Come see Theodore Gray, author of The Elements, A Visual Explanation, on Wednesday October 2 at 7:30 pm at the Minnaert Center on the campus of South Puget Sound Community College, as part of the SPSCC Artist & Lecture Series!
Tickets are FREE! to Evergreen students with ID, and $12 for faculty, staff, and other adults. The Box Office opens at 5:30pm to pick up tickets, and doors to the lecture open at 6:30pm. You can call the Box Office at (360) 753-8586, Tue-Sat noon-5:30pm, to reserve your tickets in advance (highly encouraged since it might be a very popular event, tell them you’re a student when you reserve your ticket, or buy them on-line) or wait in line at the Box Office the night of the event.
We encourage you to carpool. We will also have a van leaving campus at 6:15pm, and returning to campus after the lecture.
The Textbook & Supplies section of our Welcome Letter provided links to the first chapters of each of our textbooks.
For Week 1, please read before class (so start right away!):
- Math: Stewart Chapter 1 (for Thursday)
- Chemistry: Brown Chapter 1 (for Tuesday)
- Physics: Chabay & Sherwood Preface and Chapter 1
- Wed: Preface – To the Student (p. ix-xi), Ch. Intro & Objectives (p.1), Sections 1.1-1.3 & 1.5
- Thu: Section 1.4 & 1.6-1.7 & 1.11, Summary (p.37)
Students taking chemistry or physics must watch the Lab Safety Video available at the Science Support Center Lab Safety page (https://www.evergreen.edu/sciencesupport/lab-safety) before 9am Fri. Oct. 4. Scroll down to the bottom of the linked page to find the current Safety Video (it’s a bit over 9 minutes long).
You can find the First Day Syllabus and Community Agreements Assignment by clicking here.
The course management site we will be using for the calculus portion of Matter and Motion will be on WAMAP. Please follow the directions below to register on WAMAP. This has nothing to do with your registration as an Evergreen student. As the quarter progresses, lessons, handouts, supplements, homework assignments, etc. will be posted on WAMAP.
Instructions for registering for WAMAP
Fall 2019 – Vauhn Foster-Grahler
- Go to https://www.wamap.org/.
- On the right-hand side of the screen, a bit more than half way down, click on the text “Register as a new student”.
- Set up your account. Please use your last name and first initial as your student id.
- Provide the rest of the required information.
- Go back to the main screen and log in using the user id and password you just created.
- Click on “Enroll in a new class”.
- The Course ID for Calculus I is 20526 and the enrollment key is c1f19.
- The website will update regularly as we progress through the course.
- Please inform us in writing within the first two weeks of class if you will miss specific class sessions because of holidays of faith or conscience, or for an organized activity conducted as part of a religious denomination, church, or organization.
- If you let us know within that time frame, we will offer you reasonable accommodations, and the absence(s) will be excused.
- For more information, please refer to the Evergreen policy at: https://www.evergreen.edu/policy/religious-observance. (Note that the posted institutional policy is still in the process of aligning with the new legislative mandates, so what you see now on this page will change shortly.)
- In particular, if such absences occur at the very beginning of classes (as they do this fall quarter, when the second day of Rosh Hashanah on Tue. Oct. 1 is the same as our very first day of classes), please do your best to contact your faculty in advance.
- Read our Welcome Letter!
- Complete our Student Survey by Fri. Sep. 27!
- Work on our First Day Writing Assignment!
- Work on our First Day Syllabus and Community Agreements Assignment! (added 9/25)
- Complete the First Week Reading Assignments! (added 9/26)
- Review your math using our Math Resources!
- Start Planning Out Your Weekly Schedule! (added 8/28; updated 9/25: see Program Syllabus for more details)
- Register for WAMAP to access information for Calculus! (added 9/22)
- Scroll through the other posts below!