Recast | Writing Lab — Fall quarter — Wednesdays, 10-11:20 am, weeks 1-5

From: “Towles, Stokley” <towless@evergreen.edu>
Date: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 12:01 PM

Greetings, Looking ahead to fall quarter, I want to invite you to join Writing Lab, a meeting place for participants to share their writing, build a community, and crowd source best practices. At the center of Writing Lab, we will dive into a series of free-writing, list making, and drawing exercises. See below for more information.

Writing Lab meets Wednesdays, 10-11:20 am, weeks 1-5 (or longer if there is interest). 

Please RSVP if you or you and your program would like to attend and let me know your program name and how many students you have or anticipate. I will save you a spot (and send a Zoom link).

Cheers, 

Stokley Towles

WRITING LAB OVERVIEW

Writing Lab meets weekly, fall quarter. Wednesdays, 10-11:20 am, Weeks 1-5 (or longer if there is interest).

“First forget inspiration. Habit is more dependable. Habit will sustain you whether you’re inspired or not. Habit will help you finish and polish… Inspiration won’t. Habit is persistence in practice.” – Octavia Butler

Writing Lab is a meeting place for students to share their writing, build a community, and crowd source best practices. At the center of Writing Lab, we will open notebooks and dive into a series of free-writing, list making, and drawing exercises. We will share strategies and structures for doing work. Our goal is to follow Octavia Butler and build habits that will persist. 

PARTICIPANT FEEDBACK

“It has been a really important (if not the most important) part of the last two quarters of school for me. It has been a through line I can follow and return to when I get bogged down in the external world or in my course work.” – Annabelle Mori 

“I was there partly as a professor and partly as another participant. I think it’s actually a good model for faculty/student contact that Evergreen might want to think about promoting.” – Shaw Osha (Flores)

“It is honestly my favorite part of the week.” – Maya Nathan

“It’s an oasis in the frenzy of school work that occurs all week.” – Laura Allingham

Stimulating new modes of discovery and thinking. I feel like every time I thought that I knew what we’d be doing, we’d do something quite different! – Laurie Hamilton

“I love the ritual aspect of this, that every Wednesday at 10 we know we get to come together and tune in and listen to ourselves and each other with curiosity and without judgement. So I value the ritual and the feeling of community.” – Julia Zay

“Love the part about us using our notebooks at objects, as rich material to look back through!! I am taking this away from the workshop, which will really impact me going forward!” – Maya Nathan

You may also like...