Week 7: Nov 9 – 12
THE QUESTION IS NOT WHETHER YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH AN AUTHOR, IT’S WHETHER YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IS BEING SAID
- Monday – Remainder of Tolle, A New Earth
- Tuesday – Lisa Gray-Garcia, “Dying on the Digital Streets,” POOR Magazine, 18 February 2015 (also at http://poormagazine.org/node/5260) and
- “This Moment Must Be about Black-Ness” (also at http://www.poormagazine.org/node/5220)
- Tuesday – Bring your copy of Keohane, “Self Fashioning in Society and Solitude” (links in the Week 6 schedule). We will use the Gray-Garcia pieces and Keohane in a workshop on reflecting on your education, if there is time.
- Thursday – Chapter 9, Aparigraha: Nonacquisitiveness – Yoga for a World Out of Balance
- (Optional) If you are interested, here is the “Triggering Note,” with its “Universal Trigger Warning,” that Bill Arney and Sara Huntington included in their syllabus for “Silence, Solitude, Laziness and Other Pillars of the Good Life” (fall, 2014). Also included is Bill’s response to a student who, in response to the syllabus, wrote a note of inquiry about PTSD. This is not required reading.
Monday – Student-led seminar as normal
Due: Bill’s seminar group, email your seminar description to him by 4 pm
Tuesday – ***LATE START **** 12:30 (still in Com 110)
Due: Terry and Cynthia’s seminars: Monday seminar descriptions
All: Seminar tickets: this should be TWO compelling seminar tickets and your comments (read the assignment carefully)
Wednesday – Veteran’s Day Holiday
Thursday – Movement Workshop – bring all the usual books, art supplies, water bottles etc.