2-25-2016 My Project

Yeah! It’s all working out! Well, relative to my never having made a film and now being on a path to complete one; everything is working out. I have what I think will be the final edits to the video part of my move. All of that is mostly complete for now. At the moment I have turned to editing and creating a sound track for my film. In the beginning this was going to be purely taken from the audio I pick up on video shoots, but plans are changing.

I am collaborating with a local artist to create the soundtrack of my film. It seems that everything change drastically with this one decision, I am excited and very glad to find myself unattached to the original ideas of what I imagined this film to feel like and be about. Although I think the general message of the film will still be present. How it is given to the viewer will be much different. Not completely sure how it will play out yet, but I am imagining electronic music combined with the diegetic sound of this film. Everything will begin beautiful, elegant, slightly trippy maybe, and possibly dark. The main concept for the beginning is slow, peaceful, maybe awe inspiring. There should be an amount of beauty to it. As the film progresses, this will change quite a bit. Sounds will become disorienting and negative. The end shot will conclude this with some tonal resonance. Not sure of precise details yet.

This is all part of the process, and I am wholly enjoying it. Not knowing what to expect is fine. I am in this project to learn more about the technicalities of making a film. Learning what it takes, how to put it all together and the process I can only be aware of by experimentation. I am learning a lot, and this gives me freedom.

Not being attached to restrictive filters, making me go for perfecting. I am learning so I am playing. This is not a job, it is exploration, observation. While I am aiming for something with my project, I think going at it, knowing that I know nothing makes me think less, and do better. That’s not to say there are not imperfections in my project though.

I am very happy with the progress I have made with this film, in an odd way though, I am a little happier with what I notice to be its weaknesses. There are many things in the composition, both audio and video, that I would like to see different. Things are not perfect. But this is where I am learning everything, what I should keep in mind as I go about filming is important.

Currently I am playing with the audio, like I said. I think I need to be more careful next time I am recording audio. I want clarity. With everything I have captured, there is constant hissing in the sound and I am learning to work with it in the program. The problem is a learning opportunity, in the present and in the future.

This is where I am at.